Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Importance of Support

IF incredibly difficult and can take many, many different forms. It can be the woman who uses donor sperm and can't get pregnant. It can be the couple who try for cycle after cycle after cycle, with no explanation given from the doctors. It can be those who suffer from recurrent loss. It can lead to couples chosing it's too much to endure and to chose child-free living. Or adoption. Or the pull-out-all-the-stops and try anything possible.

One of the most challenging things about IF (other than the fact that we are still trying for children) is how isolated we feel from others, especially IRL. That's why so many of us turn here. To blogging. We feel safe here and feel like we're in a place where people understand.

I'm thankful to have the support system that I have here. At the end of the day, it's an outlet for our feelings. That's why it's been so helpful to me (and I know to others) to read your blogs. Even if everyone may not "get" the circumstances, we all have that one thing in common...

We all have empty arms. We all want so desperately to have a child to hold in our arms.

It's important that we remember that commonality. Our situations are all different, but the emptiness is the same.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Kelly. It's important to remember what these blogs are for and what it is that we all have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, you are absolutely correct. I couldn't agree more. And it actually struck me recently, that my female friends who are single and 40 and want children are going through the same grieving and pain as us. Even though they are not neccessarily infertile, their chances for motherhood is currently or has already passed them by. So imagine we are not the only ones, the IF's, wanting to hold a baby in our arms who are not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, that's a good point. You're exactly right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true and a good reminder Kelly. I'm very thankful to have you and your blog to come to. You're such a support to a lot of us I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're exactly right, Kelly! Thanks for helping me decide to become part of the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, thank goodness for the blogging community! It has been a savior for me. And, I'm blown away by the talent, caring, support and knowledge (and so much more) that is in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! The blogging community has helped me through the roughest time of my entire life. I am incredibly grateful to all of you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly you rock. Your words as always are full of truth and compassion. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, Kelly. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete