So ladies, I have my follow-up with my RE on Thursday. I just started seeing her in early December about my RPL. She ran a bunch of tests and found the scar tissue, which I've had two hysteroscopies to remove.
My follow-up is about the surgery (and to remove the balloon and tail...YAY!). But, it's also a sitdown officially now that all my tests are in.
So far, what I know:
CD 3 b/w: all good
All other tests from the 12 vials taken: all good
I also know that I'm dealing with Factor V (and we have to discuss my injections...every cycle after Oing? and hypothyroidism. We also know about the scar tissue issue.
What do I ask her? I, of course, will ask "what's the plan?" Can you think of other specifics? I appreciate it so much. Even if you haven't had RPL, what else is important?
Thanks so much. I appreciate it! :)
Do you have a copy of all your blood labs? I know you wrote "all good" but do you know the ranges and your numbers? I would start with getting a copy of that if not. I have had doctors tell me everything was "good" when in fact, it was not. Not sure how that happens, but it does.
ReplyDeleteI think the biggest thing is having a game plan. So in other words, how many more months will you try before you come back for additional testing? Are you going to be taken progesterone during your luteal phase each cycle or only of you get a BFP ? Or is that the injection you mentioned needing to take after O each cycle?
I am so excited for you!!! Can't wait to hear about your visit/ plan!
I agree with Kim: Get copies of all of that info on your blood work. I'd be curious to know what exactly they tested aside from the normal stuff. Have you ever gotten your progesterone levels checked after ovulation? If not, you should also make sure they do that.
ReplyDeleteHas Mr. SC been tested at all? If not, you may want to ask for him to be tested. Other than that, the biggest thing it to ask HER what she thinks the best plan going forward is. But you already knew that. :)
Good luck, Kelly! I'm so excited for you to get a plan and get started on it. I can't wait to hear how the appointment goes. :)
Thanks so much for the advice so far. To answer a few questions...
ReplyDeleteSome of the bloodwork (12 vials) was for infectuous diseases, auto-immune issues, alloimmune issues and diabetes. They also did karotype testing on both of us and testing on the tissue after the m/c. I don't want to ask for specific ranges, because then I'll just obsess over them.
My former gyno did the progesterone test, which came back normal but on the lower range. I took progesterone last time I got my BFP. That's something that I want to ask her about...if she can retest it or if she wants to or will just continue with the progesterone.
Ask when they want you start lovenox, at O or at BFP, and do they want to do another HSG after they remove the balloon to check everything out. Absolutely ask what the RE thinks a good game plan is. I would get copies of your blood work. Even though you don't want to obsess over the numbers they may become important to you later. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteKelly,
ReplyDeleteI'm a newbie to all of this and may face testing in February, so I appreciate you being so open and honest.
As for questions, I don't know enough to tell you specifics, but speak from the heart. Ask "what is our point of departure" and to describe how she plans to "get you there". For me, I have crazily obsessed on everything and I've not endure a tenth of what you have. With that said, I think you are doing amazingly well and I applaud your courage and stand in awe of your strength :)
Much love to you
ask her what sort of cycle and meds she is putting you on and why.. what is driving the choices she is making. Ask what her game plan is for the stimulation.. is she starting small and working upwards or what is she doing? explain your plan financially (ie if you have enough to do several cycles) so she can also factor this into your treatment.
ReplyDeleteask what the downsides are potentially to the medication she wishes you to try and check what plan b is in that event...
Everyone has given such great advice already--I don't have much more to add except that I'm really excited for your next appointment and for you to be back on the TTC wagon! :)
ReplyDeleteI have no idea how I landed on your blog, but wanted to jump in to say that I'm sorry for all the pain and loss you've endured.
ReplyDeleteI hope your RE is caring and thorough and a good advocate as you'll need one during this time, and in the months to come.
I have also had three losses and it was discovered that I have a clotting disorder and hypothyroidism as well.
Some things I would consider...
I would keep track of your thyroid levels (mainly TSH and T4). Ask for the specific numbers so you'll know what level you feel good and above what level you don't. I also know that some doctors, mine included, like to keep their hypothyroid patients at a low TSH during ttc and pregnancy. Mine is anywhere from .8 to 1.5. I feel best at this level too. It's considered really low-normal, but I think it works best for those of us with under-active thyroids.
With Lovenox (I'm pregnant and on this now), some doctors wait until you have a BFP, most wait until they see a heartbeat in the uterus. I FREAKED out when I heard that my doctor wanted to wait until the ultrasound at 6 weeks, so he changed it to straight after I got my BFP. I've also heard of some women starting it when they ovulate.
I asked if I could be on baby aspirin while conceiving and he said it was fine, so that might be something to consider too.
I wish you all the best.
love,
ebe
I'm an idiot...I just saw that you are already on baby aspirin.
ReplyDeleteSorry about that.
I promise I'm not always an idiot.
I don't have anything else to add that these lovely ladies haven't already said. But GOOD LUCK and I'm excited for you!!! =)
ReplyDeleteI can't think of anything else to add. Everyone covered everything I could think of. Good luck and I hope you can get a plan soon! The plan in the most important part!
ReplyDeleteLike Ebe I have also had three losses and have a clotting disorder and thyroid antibodies as well.
ReplyDeleteSome suggestions:
(1) Start interviewing high risk OBs (perinatologists/MFMs) now. Find one you are comfortable with and one who has a plan you are comfortable with. Clotting disorder treatment during pregnancy is really a developing field. I interviewed 3 MFMs and all had different treatment plans (mostly with respect to treatment v. prophylactic dosing of lovenox).
(2) If you can find a good endocrinologist to treat your thyroid do it. I actually found one after my first 2 losses and love it. He is great and that is all he does and he is really current on the literature re: pregnancy loss and thyroid.
(3) Be weary of the progesterone. My hemotologist was very nervous about me taking it given the clotting disorder.
Can you tell I like getting second opinions on everything and seeing lots of specialists. I highly recommend a healthy skepticism.