Monday, November 16, 2009

Am I Being Unreasonable?

My follow-up appointment after my D&E was last Tuesday. At that appointment, my OBGYN said she wanted me to see a perinatologist. She thought this was a good fit for me because not only could they manage a high-risk pregnancy (when/if I get there) but could also see me BEFORE I get pregnant to help me maintain a pregnancy. She referred me to a large, well-known location. This was all Tuesday afternoon.



I called my doctor on Wednesday afternoon to see if my office had called the new office to get me scheduled. They hadn't yet and faxed over my records to them on Wednesday afternoon. My current doctor explained that the clinic's protocol is to review records and then schedule with the specialist. They said I should hear something "in a couple days". Friday afternoon when I hadn't heard from the new place, I called my dr who called them. My office told me that their regular scheduler was out until Monday and I should hear something then.



Well guess what? I haven't heard anything yet. I hate this. I'm about a week away from AF in the 1st cycle after my m/c. I knew it could take a little while to get in to see the specialist. Now I'm just sort of like...WTF? I'm 35 and now I've lost a week. My clock is ticking even louder.



Am I being unreasonable?? Should I call my doctor again tomorrow afternoon and see what's up? Should I write off the new place and ask for a referral to go elsewhere? OR, should I just calm my silly self down?? Thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. CALL THEM. Call and call and call again. Get someone to listen to you. Hell, go down there if you have to. Last year I sent my OB/GYN a certified letter to get their dang attention when they were dragging their feet.

    I'm sorry Kelly but there is no urgency with these people at these offices.

    So what I would do is call your Dr. (whom I know you love) and tell them you are frustruated and anxious to move on. Tell your Dr. that if you can't get scheduled with this Peri that you want another referral somewhere else because you are tired of waiting.

    That's my 2cents. But I am the most impatient person in the entire world.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call them, and keep calling. You are the "customer".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both above. Call them and hopefully they will hurry up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with all pp. CALL THEM YOURSELF if you think that would help. If not, then YES, call your doctor back first thing in the morning and tell them how you are feeling and see if they can try one more time!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GRRRR!! This makes me so angry. Insurance companies and Dr's offices just don't all have their shit together sometimes. You have to be your own advocate and just stay one them. Sorry this is happening. I totally know how a lost week, or month or whatever can feel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Call them.... you are paying for a timely service. Just call em Kel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call and harass them, Kelly! You aren't being unreasonable--this is important to you and you want to move things along. Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with all of the above. CALL THEM, Kelly. They are here to help YOU, not vice versa. This isn't sometimes you should have to sit around and wait for. If it helps, call your doctor, too, and tell her your frustrations with the lack of response.

    Good luck! Let us know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I called. Hersh.ey thinks it would be better for me to be seen by an RE rather than a peri. Now I'm waiting for them to call me back. I don't want to be seen by an RE there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how frustrating. I'm so sorry you are getting the run around. These clinics/offices just don't understand what a lost cycle means to one of "us". Hang in there. Maybe you should get another referral from your doctor? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete