Monday, February 8, 2010

The Superbowl, with a kick to the stomach on the side...

I'm a huge football fan. The time of the year between the Superbowl and spring is the absolute worst for me. Stuck in the house during those frigid winter months and no football? YUCK.

The Superbowl to me is the ultimate. I love all the hoopla. I love the game and I would have loved it even more if my Colts won (if they had to lose though, they couldn't have lost to a better team...the Saints are awesome), but anyway. I love the commercials, too. I admire the marketing and creative genius that goes into creating them.

Well, I loved the commercials until around the 3rd quarter last night. I felt like I got kicked in the stomach. I literally then thought about all of my bloggy friends, wondered how many of you watched and wondered how many of you felt exactly the same way.

It was that Goo.gle commercial. At first, I loved it. I thought it was a great way to show the standard, reliable search engine's merits, in response to Bin.g's commercials. I was also drawn into the whole progression from "study abroad in Par.is" to "tu es tres migno.n" and then the whole "churches in Par.is". How sweet.

For any of us who watched it, I don't even have to type the last line. Seriously, I thought it was over with the church search. And there it was... "how to ass.emble a crib".

Are you fucking kidding me? Sorry for the profanity, but it's warranted here. It took all I had to not start sobbing. As if the only way to a happy ending is with a BABY? What about people who choose to live child free? What about people who can't have children? That's their answer for a happy ending?* My relationship is no less valuable than another's because I don't have children!

From now on, I'll be using Bin.g. Screw Googl.e and their messages.


*Disclaimer: I get that a point could be made that marriage doesn't necessarily define a happy ending either. I see that point. The baby thing though was a low blow. For those of us suffering with IF, it's a medical issue.

19 comments:

  1. Yeah that commercial was the kick in the stomach felt round the infertile community. I too thought it was cute, and then BAM! Yes that could be the "typical" timeline for a couple, but damn it, it's not for everyone!! I second using Bing for a while. You had to have thought somewhere along the line there had to have been an infertile person who saw that and went "let's just end it with 'find a church.'"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely had the same reaction. The baby crying just killed me. I'm sure they thought it was cute, but ugh. Yep, that's the way everyone's path works.

    For all the business we've been putting Dr. G's way searching every IPS, every b/w result, every statistic, etc. you'd think that they'd think about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I get ticked off when I realize what this journey has robbed us of...simple innocence. We shouldn't be sent into melt down or anxiety mode over a commercial, but it happens, doesn't it? Sad.

    Just know I feel certain you'll assemble a crib...very soon sweet friend, because you're healthy and ready to see that + sign!

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. argh... it just plain isnt fair or nice or right Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh:( I wasn't watching. So glad I missed it. So very very very glad. It's unbelievable how it's everywhere. EVERYWHERE. You can scoot along in a relatively serene mood, thinking relatively positive thoughts. And, bam! So sorry (for anyone who was blindsided with that one). The masochist in me thought briefly about finding it on Youtube. But I'm happy to say I decided to skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh.. yeah.. it brought tears to my eyes. The baby noise at the end is what got me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it was a really good thing I didn't see that commercial! I was already wishing I had stayed away from the baby-filled Super Bowl party! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, barf! I didn't see it last night but I saw it today and I didn't get the "ooh ahh, how cute" feeling, I got the "F U Goo.gle" feeling and I want to puke and yell and throw something!!! Thanks, glad I wasn't the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started off loving that commercial and then when I saw that last line my heart just broke. I felt the same way you described ... like does a baby have to equal a happy ending - ALWAYS.

    Unreal. Advertisers suck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I blocked out the baby noise at the end. I might have had my guard up yesterday though. They should have had them search for "I got a BFN at 9DPO. Does this mean I'm out?" Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really wish that advertisers would get some brains and think about what they are doing. With infertility being so rampant, they really ought to think about those things. It sounds like a very hurtful commercial. I am sorry that it made you so sad. It is completely understandable.

    Like another poster said, I am very confident that you will be assembling a crib in your future. Very confident.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As that commercial went on and I realized what was going to happen I started dreading it. Not a fun commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know when this commercial aired but I am so happy that I missed it. Talk about kicking people when they are down. Google must not have any infertiles working in their marketing department.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That commercial made me sick. I liked it at first and almost said to J, "Hey, that's us!" since we met on study abroad but I was glad I didn't when I saw the end. For it to be true for us, it would have to end with, "How to inject Ovi.drel" and "IUI success rates."

    Seriously, though. WTF? I agree that the baby crying sound at the end was the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I gave you a blog award - check out my blog to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The commercials in Canada are different during the superbowl so I didn't have the pleasure of seeing that one ... thankfully. I would have felt exactly the same way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did not see the commercial either ad I am glad I didn't! None the less, it sucks to have IF constantly thrown in our faces. Huge (((HUGS))))!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry that the commercial was tough for you to take. You really never know where the next reminder will come from, but it does seem like they're around every corner sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog. I really like your writing style and am going to follow you to your eventual baby.

    I actually liked the ad--it made me tear up, but also think about what I want so much and how hopeful I am about the future.

    And I think I would have cried harder if the ad had ended with "how to assemble a crib" and then "how to cope with a miscarriage" or "definition of missed abortion." Not that anyone would ever use miscarriage to sell products!

    ReplyDelete