So I'm at a huge technology conference today and tomorrow. This morning there was a keynote speaker that started at 8. It was a packed room, with people sitting on the floor because of how packed it was. He was great and funny and had a wonderful British accent.
And then he asked...
How many of you have children?
Hello, ass. We are ALL TEACHERS. You didn't need to ask us that to illustrate your point.
As I looked around the room at almost everyone's hand being raised but mine, I wish the floor would have opened and just swallowed me. I wanted to die. I got up and left.
After about 20 minutes, I composed myself enough to go back in. I sat down and two minutes later I get a text. It was one of my best friends asking if I was at this conference. I really haven't talked to her much since October. It's just been too hard. But, honestly, I haven't really talked to anyone.
Well, turns out she is here too! I gathered up my stuff and left the room, again. She was there waiting for me in the hall. It was so good to hug her. We just cried. We ended up skipping our second session and talking. I got to tell her all about my uterine problems, the balloon and the tail. She asked me the question, "how long are you going to do this?" I'll talk about that another day. Mostly though, she tried to just listen and understand and not cry. It was tough.
Last night I made the decision to stay overnight here, because the weather is iffy and I live 50 minutes away. My friend, and two other women from my old school district (two hours away) are staying here too. So, we all have dinner plans later. SOOO just what I needed!
Seriously, not everything has to depend on whether or not people have children! As if you can't understand anyone below the age of 18 unless you pop one out of your va-jay-jay. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are getting to catch up with some old friends, though. I hope you have a great time tonight!
I can't stand when people ask me that.... it's so embarrassing and serves as yet another reminder... on a good note at least you got a chance to see a great friend, get some stuff out... and enjoy the girl bonding time:)
ReplyDeleteStupid Brit! :) Just kidding to anyone that is reading this and British!
ReplyDeleteHave a good time tonight!
I'm sorry for that stupid question and how it affected you. So not fair!!!
ReplyDeleteI remember feeling that way this past summer at a bbq where everyone had at least TWO kids each there. And one couple says to us 'do you have any kids?' - I wanted to leave right then. Or smack them in the face (not really)...or just let the ground swallow me up. Sometimes I want to say "Ours would be 1 1/2 by now if we'd gotten pregnant right away" :)
Big hugs.
I'd have hoped for the floor to open and swallow me up, too. Glad you get an evening with the girls, though. There's a lot to be said for therapy among friends:)
ReplyDeleteHugs.. your poor darling. I am so glad you got to have special time with your bestie though.
ReplyDelete(((HUGS))) for the idiot speaker, but I'm so glad you got to reconnect with such a good friend!
ReplyDeleteUgh for the speaker. So annoying. Why is it that people just assume you can't *know* anything unless you have kids?
ReplyDeleteAs for the friend -- how wonderful. What a wonderful "accident." I hope you have a good time overnight and get to relax a bit.
So glad that in the end your day turned out ok. I would have gotten pissed if I was at a conference and had to live through that poll as well.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the crappy accident, but I know it is fantastic to catch up with old friends! Hope you have a fantastic even with the girls!
ReplyDeleteOh my god, what a nightmare (that question) to have to deal with. A similar situation occurred at the conference I was at last week and I felt like shriveling up in a ball under the table. I'm glad you had a friend there to listen and give you a shoulder to cry on.
ReplyDeleteTry and have fun with the girls and be safe out there!
OMG I would have probably run out crying. I'm glad you made it out of there. And I'm glad your friend was there and she could comfort you and listen. Have fun at your dinner w/ the girls! That sounds fun!!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry! I am glad you were able to step out and that your friend was there to talk. I know it always helps me to talk to others.
ReplyDelete"Life's little Emotinal Triggers" hit us when we least expect it...and knock us down, but the good news is that we get back up! You got back up and composed yourself, so kudo's to you sweet friend :)
ReplyDeleteYour friend asked you "how long are you going to do this" Humm...not sure how I would have felt about that comment. It's like a friend of mine telling me to prepare for what I am going to do if I don't get pregnant...not a blow I needed, not now, as I'm treading water.
Just glad you had support...and a little dinner date with gal pals never hurts, and wine heals some of what ails us as well. Cocktail anyone? LOL
HUGS and Keep your Chin up sweetie.
What a horrible way to start off the conference - that would have ripped my heart right out of my chest too. I'm glad you left and got to have a conversation with a close friend instead of hanging on by a thread listening to the speaker.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a fun dinner out tonight with the girls!