Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fears

Since Mr SC and I had our talk and reached our decision on Thursday, I've felt the most conflicting emotions.

Relief. Sadness. Fear.

Why relief? Although I have talked to my therapist about it extensively and blogged about it, I was fearful in the back of my mind that I would never be ready for trying again. Give it time, I heard. I was reassured that my feelings were normal. The weird part is that I never felt any closer to being ready. If anything, I felt more disconnected from it. I'm relieved that we reached this decision, that I was able to be honest with myself and help make this decision.

Sadness...this one is obvious, but it's a different kind of sadness. It's not a paralyzing, gut-wrenching sadness. It's more a kind of pain for what could have been, not with my losses that already happened, but what could have been had we tried again. I'm also sad about what the person that I was and am disgusted with myself that I wasn't able to cope with things better.

In the back of my mind, I'm afraid. I'm afraid that I'm weak. Others have endured so much more than we have, yet we decided that this was the end of the road. I don't want to be perceived as a quitter. We also have a diagnosis with my elevated NK cells, which is more than many couples get to have. Although it's controversial, there is treatment. What's wrong with us that we aren't willing to try it? I'm afraid that I'll buy into society's stereotype that the only "family" is one with a couple and a child. I'm afraid that we'll be considered less of a couple because we don't have the "bond" of a child. I'm afraid that people who know what we've been through (many do, to varying degrees) will realize that we aren't having a child and will always look at us with pity. I'm afraid that Mr SC made this decision because he wants to make me happy and isn't thinking about himself and will resent me.

Writing it all down, most of what I'm afraid of involves how others will perceive us. This isn't even logical, since no one knows (aside from my bloggy friends, our parents and my dear friend, Kelly) about our NK cells and it's not like we're going to make our decision a topic of conversation over dinner. I told my mom and Mr SC will tell his mom and, well, Kelly will find out when if she reads my blog. Still, something that consumes so much of you, well, if it's all that's racing around in your head it's so strange to know that on the outside, people have no idea. I'm always fearful that people will look at me, know, and judge.

I guess I'm afraid that those fears will become how I feel and instead of struggling with them, they're take over in my head.

I've been thinking of a way to memorialize our losses and what could have been and I think I've decided on getting a pinky ring. It will be a symbol of the four lives that we lost, the end of that chapter of our lives and our commitment to each other for the future. I haven't picked it out yet, because I know that I'll know it when I see it.

Thanks so much everyone for your kindness and support and I hope when I do blog, that you'll keep stopping by.

33 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how emotionally challenging this time is for you. You are doing what you need to do, for yourself and your marriage. Don't let opinions of others play a role in this. It doesn't matter if you tried for 1 year or 10 years, we don't play the pain Olympics and we all need to quit when the time is right for us. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly understand each and every one of the fears you mention here - I have the same ones. We haven't reached our breaking point yet with the treatments, but when we do, that will be the end of the line. And another moment to grieve.

    Please try to remember that every person and every couple is different, with different desires, different needs and different limits. There is NOTHING WRONG with you. Don't let anyone suggest otherwise.

    The best thing you can do is to know yourselves and put your own mental and physical well being first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fears sound totally normal. Please try to remember that everyone has their own breaking point, it is not right or wrong, it is a total personal decision. In the end it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about this choice, if it is right for you and your husband. Wishing you peace on the new leg of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those emotions are completely logical. And you will work through them as you are able. And I am definitely still sticking around to see where this next part of your journey takes you. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you, I think the fears are totally normal as you begin the next leg of this journey. And I will be totally sticking around to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of hugs, and lots of love coming your way. Your story isn't over, you know. I've taken enough breaks -- even indefinite ones -- to know that. No matter what the future holds for you, child or no child, your story is still unfolding.

    And I, for one, will still be around to find out how it all plays out.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each decision made in the IF journey seems to carry with it fear, it's so hard to know when there are so many options which is the "right" one for each of us. Also it is a grieving process and it is completely normal to feel all of those things when processing that grief. ((hugs)) to you and I love the idea of commemorating your losses with the ring. A symbol of all you have been through and the strength you continue to move forward with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please don't worry about how others might judge you. Of all the ways our bodies betray us over a lifetime, infertility is the most lonely way. I think people who've never been here will never 'get it' and even people who've gone through infertility have never gone through YOUR experience of it, what it does to the relationships in YOUR life. I think you're very brave to look at things so clearly and to draw a line, making your marriage your priority for right now, making a good life for yourself RIGHT NOW. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for your courage and clearsightedness & wish you nothing but peace and very much joy. I'll be here reading whenever & whatever you want to write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you know you can't get rid of me that easily..You & Mr. SC have so much more life to live and your choosing to do in a way that causes you the least amount of pain. I applaud you for being able to make such a gut-wrenching decision, because you are choosing to save your marriage and your sanity, and that is MOST important. Please continue blogging, I can't wait to see what is next for the 2 of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can completely identify with being afraid of how others might see you. In my experience those fears are based on the fact that you are still in a state of accepting the decision/outcome, yourself. So I don't think it's fair to label it illogical - it just is, what it is. And you're feelings are totally warranted.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an awful decision for any of us to have to make. We haven't reached out breaking point yet, but I've been thinking about it lately. A lot. I hope this comment doesn't draw ire from other readers who are "truly" infertile as opposed to being repeat miscarriers, but I really do think that recurrent miscarriage makes this decision so very agonizing. When the problem is miscarrying and you decide to quit, there's no hoping and praying and wishing that you'll get that elusive BFP. You can't say you're not trying anymore, and give up the fertility treatments, vitamins, charting, and OPKs but still hope that there's a slim chance lightning might strike. When you're done because you keep miscarrying, you are done done. You are actively preventing pregnancy because that's the only way you can be done. It's so...final. I don't know that I really did a good job there expressing what I'm trying to say, but I know that you know what I mean. Reading this entry made me cry, imagining how sad and difficult a decision this was to come to.

    Please do continue blogging, if you still enjoy it and get something out of it for yourself. There are so many IF blogs out there, so many pregnancy-after-IF blogs out there. There are so few by women who have made the decision you have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please don't worry what others think or feel bad about how you handled things. You did the best you could do with yourself and I think that's great. You made your decision and that was the best decision for the two of you which makes it the right decision. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate so well to many of the emotions you mentioned. I think we all struggle with the perceptions of others. I know it has seriously impacted my decisions. I admire you for being able to commit to taking an indefinite break and focusing on life. It takes great courage to make that decision.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't look at you with pity, I look at you with admiration. I know that might sound weird, but I admire you for having the courage to be honest about your feelings and be willing to take a stand to do what you feel is the right thing. So many people (myself included) would destroy themselves in the process, but you respect yourself too much to let that happen.
    For that, I'm in awe.
    Please keep blogging. I'd miss you too much if you went away (that probably really sounds selfish) -
    You are an amazing woman, daughter, wife - and you are not letting infertility define you, no matter the pain it has caused.
    All my love,
    Mic

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are NOT a quitter and anyone who thinks that is just plain wrong and should be shot if they dare to say that to you! It takes courage to know your limits. Only you know how you feel and everyone should respect that. I think about you often and will continue to read no matter what you write about. I consider you a friend now and I always want to "chat" with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your feelings and fears sound completly normal. I would have many of the same. I worry about what other people think too. I haven't even had 1/2 as hard of a time as you and I quit after my 2nd iui back in April. We're still in limbo and don't know what we'll do but deciding to stop is a highly likely. I'm sure your husband won't resent you. He sounds like a great man and sounds a lot like my husband. I know he would be completely ok with stopping b/c he just wants me and I know he wouldn't resent me. I'm sure your husband won't.

    And the pinky ring idea sounds great. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so much to say here.

    (1) dont ever feel disgusted that you couldn't "cope better". It's a horrible thing to live through. You came out the other side so I personally think you coped quite nicely :)

    You are not weak, or a quitter. You are doing what is right for YOU and your FAMILY, which is you and Mr SC. There is nothing wrong with that, nothing at all. And you ARE a family, with or without a child. You are no less important without a child. In fact, you can be the most important person in a child's life without being a parent. Not being a parent doesn't mean the end of anything.

    I understand your fear of being judged. But try not to let it worry you. I think you are STRONG and having the courage to make this choice just proves it to me.

    I sometimes feel weak because I wont give in to what seems inevitable - that I am not meant to have any more children. In my eyes that makes you stronger than me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are NOT weak.

    It takes courage to walk the road of infertility and all that goes with it, it takes even more courage to put your heart first and say enough is enough.

    You have courage in spades, don't let ANYONE, including yourself, ever tell you different.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I relate to many of your feelings...I think many of us going through IF do. You are not weak...I think you are quite strong! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think that weakness is what describes you and this decision at all. Far from it. You're a strong woman who was made a very difficult decision. Deciding what is right for you and your hubby, even if it's not what everybody else would do, especially if it's not what everybody else would do, takes a lot of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you are very strong for making the decision to stop right now and for however long you choose. So many people continue and continue and perhaps make things worse in their lives. I really respect you for making this decision. I hope your lives are filled with joy and contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Knowing when you have reached the end of your IF road does not make you a quitter. It sounds to me as if you are saying "yes" to life by putting your focus in a different direction. There are so many different ways of building a good life. No matter what other people think, you have to live the life that is right for YOU.

    I know it's really hard not to imagine and wonder what other people think of you. Going ahead and doing what is right for you in spite of popular opinion takes inner strength and courage. In the end, I think that the people worth knowing will see that you are doing what's right for you. The ones who judge you really aren't worth your time (although that doesn't make it any easier to let them go).

    I wish you all the best. I've only been following your blog for a few months, but you strike me as a really strong woman who has had to deal with challenges most people never face. Hugs to you. I really feel for what you are going through, and I hope you will continue to feel more and more at peace with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ((Kelly))
    Thanks for writing sucha beautiful post. I can relate to so many of the feelings you are going through. I think it is brave of you and your DH to make this decision.
    I have no idea why we (myself included) are so worried about what other people think. You are doing what is right for your life and your marriage.
    I love the idea of a ring to remember your babies. If you are a tatoo person, that would be a cool way to remember them too.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. All I can do is echo what the others have said, you are not for one second weak. You have been through so much that has required strength of mind & body. Knowing that it was time to take a different path is strength. Please take care of you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Honestly, I can't put it any better than Mic did. I don't pity you. Not one bit. I look up to you for being so strong. You have my respect and my full support, and if anyone judges you for this decision they are a fool and not a friend. And honestly? I think you should keep blogging. You have a story that needs to be out there for others to read. Reading what you have to say gives me the courage to keep moving forward, and I know that others feel the same. Whether you want to think this or not, you are an inspiration to all of us. Never forget that.

    Love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. (((hugs))) And, I agree with some previous posters -- I look at you with admiration, not pity. Being able to make a decision like this is incredibly difficult. I think it takes an incredible amount of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Of course this is scary - it's a huge step. You have to do what is right for you and your husband. I admire you for making this decision. It's moving forward in a way that you can control.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kelly- I feel closer to making that decision all the time, and all your fears are understandable. I also admire your strength and grace to make this decision. You are not a quitter, you are opening the next chapter.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm sure that others have already said this, but I honestly think it takes more courage to get off the endless roller coaster of fertility treatments than it does to stay on. I think many people stay on it out of fear of quitting. Seriously, I really believe this and always have. Not that I judge those who have kept at it for more time at all. But I wholeheartedly commend your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't really say it much better than everyone else before me but what you're feeling is completely normal (or if it isn't, I'm right there with you with very similar fears).

    ReplyDelete
  31. I only just found your blog today, but was struck by how similar our stories are - married only a month apart, and 4 miscarriages in almost the exact same time frame. I often wonder myself just how much more I can endure, many days it is all just too much. Such terrible memories, and such terrible fear. I am just so sorry for all that you have been through, and hope that you can find some peace now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm catching up on reading and so am only chiming in now. I think that one of the (many, many) terrible things about loss is the way we are hard on ourselves. The way we blame ourselves for trying too long, or not enough, for taking this advice or for deciding against it. Kelly, you are a very strong woman. And my opinion is that you and Mr. SC have a bond that transcends the bonds that most other couples have. You've survived something. Something terrible, something that would have torn other people apart. This isn't a silver lining (because I don't believe in those in our situations) but it just is.

    And you betcha I will continue to stop by. With bells on:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Bottom Line...You have to do what is right for you and the hubs and not worry about what other people think....We all have a ending point some peoples are sooner or later than others but everyone has to have an ending point at sometime and if this is yours than that is fine:)

    I know with us this last IVF was it for us...I had come to the point when I knew I had to try one more time because of our new dx but after that if it didnt work then we were moving on to adoption...and lucky for us it worked...

    But many couples I know do not even do clomid or after a first loss would be done and then their are others that nearly have lost their lives to have a baby but like I said every couple and person is different...and YOU are the only one who can know when enough is enough and down the road if you want to go a different path then that is your choice...

    Also you have been through a ton and of course we all will always be there for you...so keep blogging:) Best Wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete