Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

Yep, I'm getting on the "thankful" bandwagon, too. In all seriousness though, I'm the kind of person who tries to reflect regularly on what I'm thankful for. It's one of the main things that's helped me get through our RPL. I thought I'd post things here and I've decided to only post about things non-TTC related.

1. Flowers and my garden. This is going to sound incredibly lame, but every plant that I plant, every flower that blooms and every pumpkin that grows in our garden I'm thankful for. It amazes me that I have a knack for growing things and how beautiful nature is.

2. My dogs. Back in 2003, I rescued my black lab mix (or, according to the doggie DNA kit that I did...my westie and chow chow mix) the day I moved into my new apartment (that I selected because I liked but also because it allowed dogs). Lewie (short for King Louis XIX, which is the next one in line in France) has been there for me through all life's ups and downs. I love that dog. We also rescured our yellow lab, Nittany, together a couple of years ago. She's an amazing dog for all sorts of different reasons. It's amazing just how different doggie personalities can be.

3. Having a job that I love. I'm a high school social studies teacher. I teach 9th grade U.S. history and 12th grade AP U.S. Government. In this economy, I'm thankful to have a job, period. I'm also thankful though that every morning when I get up, I get to do something that I enjoy.

4. My ability to think. Now, this one can get me in trouble sometimes, but I love the way my mind works (when I'm not obsessing over TTC, that is). I'm not afraid to question. I'm always learning and seeking new information. And, although I hate to say this, but I'm thankful for being relatively intelligent.

5. The roof over our heads. We aren't wealthy. At. all. We don't have much. I have a half decent amount of credit card debt. Yet, every month we're still able to pay our bills, save and also are fairly able travel.

6. The internet. This is something that I think about almost every day. I remember distinctly when I was in college and it was first readily available (remember, I'm 36!). As a teacher, I can't imagine life without it.

7. My mom. My mom is my best friend and, if I'm being honest, she's one of the reasons that I want to have a child. Not to "give" her a grandchild, but because of the bond that she and I have.

8. Mr SC. :)

This is a pretty boring list...the standard, if you will. It felt good to write it all down, though.

10 comments:

  1. I love that you put flowers and gardening at the top of your list. It doesn't sound lame at all. I love gardening, too. Plants are miracles and it is always a wonderful thing when they grow and thrive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sometimes hard to focus on the good stuff when the bad outweighs it, so good on you!!

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful list. Happy Thanksgiving sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this list - it's so important to have gratitude for the items in our lives that keep us going. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I am happy for all of the wonderful things in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are good things to be thankful for. A very nice list. And I had to laugh about what the doggie DNA showed...we've been tempted to do the same thing with our mutt but are pretty certain that the results will have us shaking our heads and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very nice list....Happy ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from iclw! Lovely list of gratitude.
    I also have 2 dogs who I love very much. They keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It completely changes your outlook when you count your blessings. And you are blessed! I hope your Thanksgiving was great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly - This is a wonderful list. My thoughts and prayers are with you in getting through each day ahead.

    ReplyDelete