Yesterday I finally went to a new, regular doctor (sometimes referred to as a PCP or GP). When I relocated over three years ago I had found one but she relocated. I then found another and she left the practice. My old gyno had taken over my medications but I know that I need a regular doctor.
I really liked her. She listened about my not sleeping and anxiety, which was helpful. I'm scared though. I have genetically high cholesterol. It just is. I was put on medication when I was 25, which helped. However, I was told not to even touch medications while TTC. I asked my doctor if there could be a number (level) that it comes back as which would cause her to sit down with me and tell me that I need to think about my priorities (ie. not TTC so I can take medications). She said yes. Yikes. So, we'll see. Especially after my testing at SIRM comes back, if my doctor recommends IVF with PGD, we'll be on a break until at least next summer so I may very well go back on that medication until then.
We had a long talk, my doctor and I. I came to the realization that I pretty much rebelled against everything. So many of us have talked about how we felt that we have always played by the rules and yet it got us nowhere. I realized yesterday that I feel this way about everything. When I hate super healthy and worked out religiously, my body still didn't listen and my cholesterol was still elevated. My losses are yet another example of this.
I started yesterday trying to take small steps to reclaim myself and my body. It may have only been one day, but I ate very well and had a minimal amount of calories. Weight loss is dreadful for me because of my thyroid condition, but you have to start somewhere.
Tomorrow is my saline ultrasound at SIRM. I'm very nervous but thanks to all of you, I'm more prepared and know exactly what to expect. Thank you so much for that.
You SHOULD take care of yourself! I am glad you are taking steps in that direction :) be sure to let us know how your saline sono goes!
ReplyDeleteWoa! I have high genically high Colestrole and my new dr is putting me on Metaformin (a diabettes med), she feels that my miscarriages are a metabolic reason. Hmmmmmmm. I've been doing south beach (which I hate) and hoping it works.
ReplyDeleteDid she prescribe you anything?
Good luck with the sono. I am sure you will be fine, but pleae keep us posted. It is funny when you menitoned going to the GP, I realized that I have done that in so long. I forget that you need to see doc other than your RE and OB, ha! So glad that you are getting back in charge of your life and body. Perhaps this time off is a good thing for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you had a good visit with your doctor. I love doctors that will sit and talk with you - they're hard to find sometimes. Small steps is great, Kelly! I"m so proud of you for doing this!
ReplyDeleteAnd good luck at your ultrasound tomorrow. I hope you get some great results!
Good luck tomorrow! I will be thinking about you!
ReplyDeleteGood luck tomorrow! I hate playing by the rules, too. My RE told me to try for 80% of the time and that seems to work for me. I know I CAN cheat on the diet, so I'm less likely to actualy cheat.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a good doctor appointment and glad you're taking care of yourself. Im going to try, too...
ReplyDeleteI'll be thinking about you tomorrow!!
Good luck with the saline sono tomorrow. I hope it's easy peasy.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm with you on the high cholesterol. When mine was drawn last month it was ... get ready for this Kelly - 340!!!! Freakin' 340!!!!! That's like the cholesterol of a 600lb obese woman. I know that my condition has it a little falsely elevated, but I also know that it's probably somewhere in the 300 range and I need to go on meds. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I'm so glad you liked your new GP - that is a big deal. I call on GP's everyday and good ones are very few and far between.
GL tomorrow. The sono is a breeze!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you like your new PCP! Keep us updated on your cholesterol. I'll be thinking about you.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the sono tomorrow!
I hope tomorrow goes well! Now that I'm not reading your blog on google reader, I find I'm strangly hypnotized by the waves in the background. Lol.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you liked your new doc. I hope you are wrong about your cholesterol, but I completely understand. I have high cholesterol, too, thanks to crappy genes. Absolutely nothing I do makes it go down. Ugh. Keep us posted on that and GOOD LUCK tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.
ReplyDeletexo
Hope the sono goes well....I had one and it was no biggie:) Take Care:)
ReplyDeleteI hope your saline sono goes well tomorrow!! I am glad you like your new dr -- it is often hard to find a dr you feel comfortable talking with. I am so glad you have!!
ReplyDeleteVery glad you like the doc.
ReplyDeleteI had a sono too and it wasn't too terrible. GL tomorrow, Kelly!
Good luck with it!
ReplyDeleteGlad you like your new doc- it can be so difficult to find one you like who's competent enough for your care. And I hate looking for new doctors period.
Good for you for trying to reclaim the parts of your life that you can control. I know how hard that is.
ReplyDeleteI've had the saline test and it was a piece of cake for me so hopefully you have the same experience :)
Good luck with the saline u/s, and with SRIM in general.
ReplyDeleteI am glad to hear you are taking steps to reclaim your life. Life is just a series of steps, and we need to start somewhere, right? You deserve it.
Good Luck with the u/s!
ReplyDeleteI have recently started to take my life back as well. I have let myself go through my IF journey and I have decided that I need to be healthy for whatever our next step is going to be!!
ICLW #97