Because my doctors (regular and RE) are all part of the same medical system, my RE actually had my bloodwork results from last week from my regular doc. Remember that I had been concerned about my cholesterol (I was on meds for it since I was 25, genetically high, stopped meds when TTC)
The good news:
- Um...I really like my RE. She grows her hair for two years and then gets it cut for Locks of Lo.ve.
The bad news:
- She thinks that IVF with PGD is a waste, since studies have shown that the success rates aren't high enough for live births
- She also thinks it's a waste since we aren't sure what my problem is (and PGD would be leaning ot an egg quality issue)
- This IVF idea is different from the doc at SIRM (philosophy about the road to take, if all my tests from She.r come back fine)
- My cholesterol, in my RE's words is "terrible" (which I can't take medication for while TTC)
- She talked to me about my other "options": donor eggs (no), adoption (no), and a surrogate (no)
- She thinks if we're going to keep trying, we do so sooner rather than later due to my age and my cholesterol.
Yep, that's it. My day sucked.
I could have clobbered Mr SC. He went with me because I had an anxiety attack about even going to see her. The last time I was in that office I was miscarrying. However, he didn't go back in the room with me.
He kept getting on my shit to tell him what happened. I told him I'd rather talk to him about it in the car. Well, it's a good 10 minute walk from her office to the car. He was getting frustrated that he didn't know what was going on. I kept saying, I'd rather do this in private. Then, finally, after another question, I just started talking about it, right in the middle of the sidewalk. Donor eggs, blah blah blah. WTF? I let him have it in the car. I was crying and really upset. He kept saying, "what's the big deal...no one was around". I said the big deal is I'm crying, there was a dude in front of us on his phone and I asked to wait to talk about this.
Honestly, if the testing from SIRM doesn't turn up anything, that may be the end of the road for us. Why? Because I'm not comfortable shelling out all that money for IVF when it's questionable if it will even work. And, I'm not ready (or willing) to just try again blindly. Then I'd have no one to blame but myself if I miscarried again.
Maybe there's a reason that everything is working against us...the losses, the scar tissue, the Factor V and MTHFR diagnosis and now, my cholesterol.
I'm the first to admit that I could lose weight. I get that. However, we were at the store getting some things for the beach and Mr SC kept picking up things that he knew I would like and reading labels. He just kept saying, "this doesn't have cholesterol" and "that doesn't have cholesterol". Yes, I know. Finally he said, "what do you eat that has cholesterol?" I keep telling him it's a genetic thing but it's not getting through his head.
So that's that. Maybe there's a reason why I keep feeling like I'm swimming against the current. I'm tired. I'm worn out. I'm exhausted mentally and, just like swimming against the current, after all that work, it's gotten me nowhere.
Perhaps it's time to get out of the water and sit on the shore.
Oh Kelly, I am so sorry. That sounds like a terrible visit. I imagine that news like that hits you like a truck running you over. I am glad that you are seeking a second opinion and know that SIRM does some different kinds of treatments. I can understand not wanting to do wasted cycles and only you can decide when enough is enough. I hope you can give yourself a few days to let this news sink in a bit. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that you are feeling so depressed and hopeless. I'm truly so sorry.
ReplyDeleteughh what a crappy day! I wish I could give you a hug! You know I'm here for you no matter what (blog or FB), and if you need an ear or a shoulder please don't hesitate! <3
ReplyDeleteOh and I finally moved my blog address too so you can find me at http://deepbreathb4theplunge.blogspot.com.
Oh, honey, I am so sorry for the rough day. Do you ever feel like hubby just doesn't care as much? They should totally have "my wife is hormonal" sensitivity classes for them. Big HUGS my dear.
ReplyDeleteOh this sucks! I'm so sorry that your RE appointment didn't go well. And also sorry about your hubby reacting the way he did - they definitely don't get it, do they???
ReplyDeleteI really hope SIRM has some answers for you - I bet they will - I've heard such good things about them.
Thinking of you!
Oh gosh. What an awful day! I hate the "we don't know" answers. I am so sorry.
ReplyDeleteOh honey,
ReplyDeleteI have felt that end of the road feeling too many times to count.
BUT
IF you don't remember anything, remember this:
Do NOT GIVE UP, Do NOT QUIT. Persevere, keep getting insight, as knowledge is power. I'm praying your Dr. at SHER has greater insight. When I last visited my RE I felt completely hopeless, had cashed in my chips, was beaten down and a plethora of other thoughts. However, my Dr. was able to give me some HOPE...he didn't have answers, but he gave me enough confidence to work toward moving forward. I still struggle, I do, but I'm taking things one day at a time and trying to feel comfort in knowing there are options. The options may not be according to my life's plan, but at least I have them :)
Sending you love, peace and praying for your miracle. It's all just so hard and you get tired of fighting the battle, but you keep on fighting! And, I'm going to keep cheering you on :)
xxxx
andrea
On another note, as for the cholesterol, my hubby deals with the same. In the beginning I would scold him for eating anything with cholesterol....
ReplyDeleteUNTIL...
My Dr. friend set me strait, in a not so nice way, letting me know it was hereditary and that hubby should eat sensibly, not finatically, take his med's and live his life :) Guess he told me!
So, you go and live your life honey! And give yourself a break, as non of this is your fault.
More HUGS
xxx
I'm sorry you had such a shitty appointment. I'm sorry that you have to deal with all this crap. I'm sorry that you're not getting any real answers. This whole situation just blows! :( *hugs*
ReplyDeleteOh, Kelly, I'm so sorry. I don't know how to tell you to move forward but I really hope that the other doctors can give you some possibilities. Sending you so many (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteOh dear Kelly, that sounds like a truly, truly awful day. I am so sorry that it was so painful for you. It sounds like she gave you her educated opinion and that it was very hard to hear. But like you said, you are still waiting to hear from SIRM. Interesting how the mind immediately goes to 'how will this end! What is the outcome', but the truth is, we really don't know. You did not know whether you could conceive and bring to term a biological child when you got up this morning and you still don't know that this evening. And not knowing is hard. And fearing the worst is not helpful (but I can understand how you would. I would too. And I do so often!).
ReplyDeleteI hope you can have a relaxing evening and that you can treat yourself extra kindly at this time. You are in a lot of pain and require your most caring attention (and you have loads of caring attention for all of us, so I trust that you can spare some for yourself).
Sending you hugs, dear woman.
k. I feel like my case mirros yours. So I'm going to get nosey. Hope I don't offend! And I've probably already told you all this. I follow your blog VERY closely!
ReplyDeleteI too have horrible cholestorel, and my dr put me on Metaformin, have you ever heard that? Also my dr. recommend I do south beach.
Now that you have mentioned egg quality, it really has me thinking. I wonder if that is my issue? Why the eggs are sticking?
I feel the same way about shelling out all that dough for IVF. When I keep getting preggers, but doesn't stick! Urgh.
*hugs* I am so sorry. Is there a medication you could take to lower your cholesterol? I wish you lots of luck in picking the right path for you.
ReplyDeleteI asked my RE about taking Met because I remember someone was taking it (although I didn't remember that it was you). She said no, that it wouldn't have any effect. I'm going to ask my regular doctor what she thinks though. I've read online that it can help and that it also can make no difference. We'll see.
ReplyDeleteI really don't know if it's egg quality but I get the impression that some docs lean that route after RPL when they aren't sure what else it could be. My RE doesn't seem to feel that it's that necessarily because I seem to get pregnant so easily.
You aren't being nosy! Feel free to email me too.
Damn blogger, I just wrote a big comment and it got deleted!
ReplyDeleteI'm soooooooo sorry about your shitty appointment! So sorry. I hope the test results give you and the Dr's some answers and hope they will be able to do something. Also sorry your hubby didn't go back and then wanted to talk about it in the parking lot. Sometimes men are different creatures entirely...you're not alone...my hubby is stupid sometimes. ((HUGS))
F*ck Kelly, I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteIt's just so unfair.
I am so incredibly sorry, Kelly. It's so unfair and heartbreaking, my heart just aches for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm also sorry that your husband was so insensitive about this...I hope he makes it up to you and starts being much more caring.
Thinking of you and sending huge hugs.
So Sorry Kelly, It sucks that we can't all have the fairytale and " Happily ever after' that all of us are so desparatly wanting.
ReplyDeleteBig hugs and i hope things get easier soon
So sorry Kelly. Thanks for taking the time to come over and give me support on such an emotional day for you. Sounds like the Dr. is a keeper. I wasted months with one who pushed IVF and now knowing what I do, I would have hated to waste that money. I hope we can both become IF urban legends super soon!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry it was such a rough day. I know how tempting it is to just give up and I completely understand your excellent analogy of swimming against the current. I have been to two different REs in the past year and got two completely different messages (one: all I'm going to get from pursuing this is closure on my own eggs; two: optimism that if I just keep trying it will happen). Before you make a decision, I hope you can get a second or even third opinion on the Met, and also on the IVF PGD...Of course you have to make a decision you are at peace with and we will all support you no matter what you do. The way I see it, I can always quit later. But in time I won't have a choice and I won't be able to go back.
ReplyDeleteSending you lots of hugs and love.
Love,
Maddy
So sorry, I can't imagine what a difficult day this was for you. Thinking of you & sending love...praying you find the answer that is right for both of you in all of this. I know how hard it is when there are no good options.
ReplyDeleteHUGS! Sounds like a really tough day! Here's to hoping you get to relax this weekend!
ReplyDeleteOh, Kelly.
ReplyDeleteI wish I was wherever you are so that I could give you the biggest hug ever. Then take you out for coffee, or drinks, or a big, fat, unhealthy, cholesterol-laden meal.
It is so hard to keep fighting the current when it seems like all the odds are stacked against you. I get it if you're ready to give up hope. I'm going to keep hoping for you, though.
Please remind me -- what were the results of your RPL testing? Nothing abnormal? No antibodies or chromosomal thingies? I'm so frustrated for you by your RE's negative attitude. Is there another RE nearby that can maybe give you a different opinion?
I'll be thinking of you today, and in the coming days. No matter what you decide, or where this path takes you, we will always be here for you.
Hugs,
Jo
Jo,
ReplyDeleteThanks for being so sweet and supportive. My RE has run every test under the sun on me. She's frustrated for me, too. She cited studies about the IVF/PGD thing not being worthwhile and told me to think about all my options (donor eggs, etc). She also mentioned clinical trials.
I'm still waiting for my 2nd opinion immunology panel bloodwork to come in from She.r but up to this point, I have Factor V, a blood clotting disorder. That's the only real thing they found that would be an issue.
(((kelly))) I am so sorry to hear about the crappy appointment. I would have broken down too.
ReplyDeleteThat is interesting what your RE said about IVF with PGD. I was told conflicting things about that. My RE explained it to me as an option (funny, he is the one who would make money if I went this route). My MFM said the same thing that you wrote (that it is a waste).
Thanks for posting that info.
Kelly, my heart just aches for you today. I hope that all of us can hold you up today.
ReplyDeleteDef DO NOT give up hope......If your test do come back with immune issues I would recommend seeing an Reproductive Immuniologist or at least having one added to your team of Dr's....Ever though Sher is very smart and trying to keep up to speed with things I have found that they kind of try to cookie cutter everyones tx plan.....I commend then however because they are open to treating immune issues but for someone like me who have severe immune issues their protocol plan would have no led me to where I am now....because my RI does a lot more test/monitoring then what sher would do alone...My Dr...Dr.Kwak Kim does work with many women from all over the United States....women fly in or drive to see her....She actually worked with Dr. Beer for many years and is mentioned in his book several times..She accepts insurance and requires out of town patients to come to her office for intial bloodwork and us/doppler blood flow to he uterus...after that everything can be done via phone and she will coordinate with an Re or Ob/gyn that is open to working with her too.....Or maybe you have an Reproductve Immuniologist by you? But def dont loose hope....One of my biggest issues is my blood flow because of my two clottng disorders....In the past they just stuck me on lovenox 30mg once a day and that was that but at Dr.Kwak I go weekly to monitor my blood flow sometimes it up so then she increases the lovenox but sometimes its down and she takes my lovenox doseage down...I guess the point is that our bodies are changing and the blood flow can be a major reason for miscarriage...You hang in there:)
ReplyDeleteKelly I'm so sorry, not getting answers if just plain frustrating. I sometimes think "unexplained" anything to do with infertility is SO much worse because at least with a diagnosis you know what you're up against.
ReplyDeleteAs for hubby, men just don't get it. Trust me. I've given up with Guvnor, he doesn't understand what I feel and why I feel it. Meh.
Big hugs honey
xxxx
UGH! I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. It really does suck. I know how you feel about swimming against the current. My entire TTC road has been against a very strong current. I had my treatments at SIRM and can't say enough good things about them. If you have an immune condition they *will* get to the bottom of it and be able to treat you. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteKelly, I am so sorry about your horrible appointment.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry Kelly. ((hugs)) I am sending prayers your way...
ReplyDeleteAck, what a lousy day! I'm so so so sorry. And then you came by my blog and cheered me up. Thank you for your sweet comment, especially when you're hurting so badly. I pray that you will find the guidance and wisdom that you seek, and loads of comfort in whatever decision you make.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry they couldn't give you any answers...how frustrating. Sending ((HUGS))!!
ReplyDeleteHey Kelly. I know I haven't posted on your blog much recently, but I always read. I just want you to know that I'm so sorry for what you are going through. You are always in my prayers.
ReplyDelete(((hugs)))
Oh, Kelly. I'm sorry. My heart is with you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I do think that docs just opt for the poor egg quality line when they can't find any other reason for RPL.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get your SIRM results soon, and that sheds some light on things.
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. I too have poor egg quality (and a host of other related issues) and it sucks. There are no words. It just sucks.
I'm just getting caught up on reading blogs - I'm so very sorry for what a crap day you had:( I, too, have very high cholesterol and it's entirely based on genetics. Everyone in my family does, even the Skinny Minnies. There's even a school of thought that says high cholesterol protects women as they age, but who the heck knows?
ReplyDeleteI hope you get your SIRM results very soon. It's just so hard to know what to do and how to proceed. Making decisions is so important in this because it means - if not progress - then at least movement. But it's hard to move when you don't have all the information.
I am seriously hurting reading your post. My gut instinct is you need a better doctor. It's just not fair to dish things out like that. The doctor is supposed to be there to help, to find answers. She has not been able to make a dx and clearly explain what's going on. She is just guessing. She has no right to take away your hope. She is supposed to do the other way around! I don't like her:(((
ReplyDeleteMajor (((HUGS)))