Reaching out to others or forging ahead with new relationships can be an infertile's worst nightmare. You fear that subject of conversations and think about how to handle questions. Last spring, I handled one badly.
There is newer secretary in one of the offices at school. Her desk is by itself and right by the photocopy machine that many teachers use. I reacted to a seemingly innocent question that she asked me and it's weighed on me heavily since. We never have gotten beyond artificial chatting since, but today I tried to rectify that. This is a copy of an email that I sent her:
Dear colleague that I was shitty to:
You may or may not remember what I’m going to talk about, but I have and I wanted to talk to you about it. Forgive me that it’s in an email, but it’s just easier for me.
Last year, I was at the copy machine. You were trying to chat with me and asked me if I had kids. My response was, “why?" and you replied that you were just trying to get to know me. I know this came across horribly. I apologize for that. I have felt badly ever since didn't know how to talk about it or fix it.
I wanted to explain my reaction and as bad as it may have made you feel, there was a reason for my response. I was pregnant at the time (when you asked me) but I had just found out I was miscarrying for a second time. After time passed, it got harder and harder for me to explain my reaction to you since I've now had a total of four miscarriages since March ’09.
I know this email is of an extreme personal nature and it’s something people usually don’t talk about, but I’ve felt so badly about how I was to you that I didn’t know how else to apologize other than explaining, fully, my reaction.
I hope that you understand.
Writing this alone felt liberating. After she read it, she replied just how sorry she was and I ended up calling her. We talked a bit and things are better. She said twice that she hopes that we can be friends. I hope so, too.
You.
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing. I'm proud to call you my friend
xo
Wow. I'm struggling with some of the same things. Reading your post has really inspired me. Thanks for posting about this.
ReplyDeleteWow. Well done, Kelly. Very courageous.
ReplyDeleteThat was very brave of you to confront the situation head on!
ReplyDeleteHow brave are you girlfriend?!?
ReplyDeleteYou rock, onya for being courageous enough to confront that situation head on and explain your reactions/answer to the question.
xxx
Very courageous move! And the person on the other side obviously has a good understanding heart. Yes, making peace is liberating.
ReplyDeleteJust this weekend I saw someone who I met several months ago. I side stepped this person, as he asked the dreaded question "do you have any children" upon our first meeting. I handled the situation poorly as well, I merely did not answer him and sat there in dismay as if I could not believe he was asking me this and we'd know eachother 2 seconds. Who does this? An innocent, well meaning person trying to get to know you. When I saw this guy last weekend I avoided him, as I was embarassed. He, on the other hand, came up to me and patted me on the shoulder and said "hello" with a generous smile. Perhaps one day I will be courageous enough to do as you did and right the situation.
Many HUGS
What a nice - and brave - email!! I'm glad it feels better to clear the air. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am amazed by that gesture. It takes a lot to take a step like that, and it makes me think maybe I can take a step like that...HUGS
ReplyDeleteThat's a fantastic email. I hope you two can be friends because you sound like a pretty awesome person to be friends with :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so brave & I'm so glad you both were able to get past this and she was able to understand. It is so hard to know how to answer those questions, I struggle with that so much myself...do I answer honestly and tell them about my dead baby or do I just say no? This is why I also avoid those situations as much as possible.
ReplyDeleteWow! That was such a courageous step to take, Kelly. You are amazing! Where did you find the strength to try and repair that awful interaction and its consequences. It sounds like you might have a new friend from the steps you took today. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteGreat email, and I admire that you sent it. I always have a lot of moments like that where it ends up bothering me, and I wish I could go back and explain or write a letter... something... but I never do, maybe one day soon I will... hmmm...
ReplyDeleteI am glad you sent it and were able to talk to her about it.
Amazing. How great are you for addressing this even though so much time has gone by??!! I too have found that letting people know what is really going on has gone a long way and I am mostly met with compassion and understanding. So great for you, thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteReading your letter made me feel so good, Kelly! I am happy for you that you made this step. I am very happy, because writing this helped you to feel better, and it helped you to finally get rid of an extra burden you had been carrying so long. Also, I am happy, because you might have just found a new friend at work. Somebody, who can understand what you are dealing with, and maybe there for you for support.
ReplyDeleteI am very proud of you for reaching out! that is a huge step.
Love and big hugs!
Wow, what a neat story! I am sorry that you went through this but I admire you so much for your courage & strength to write such an email. And am so happy that you have found a new friend and someone who can help you!
ReplyDeletewow - really amazing that you were able to reach out to her like that. i just started reading your blog... i only know what you said in your email to the girl you work with - i'm hooked.
ReplyDeleteThat really was so brave of you! I'm so glad that she was understanding and supportive to you. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteThat was so brave, Kelly. I admire your courage--I know it took a lot to write that email and actually send it. And what a great response from the secretary!
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible thing to do, Kelly. I'm so proud of you and so glad you did it and it worked out like it did. ((hugs))
ReplyDeletevery nicely put. I'm glad you were able to mend this uncomfortable time with her
ReplyDeleteWow! That took a lot of guts to write!
ReplyDeleteI know as infertiles we usually hate the saying that everything happens for a reason. Though the words still pain me, I do find some comfort in them. IF has actually introduced me to some pretty wonderful people. I am so glad that you were able to turn something terrible into something good.
You are amazing, Kelly. I am so incredibly proud of your bravery. I'm sure it was difficult for you to reach out to her and say those things, and I'm glad she responded well.
ReplyDeleteThis inspired me!
You are more amazing than you realize! What you did took a tremendous amount of courage & maturity, & I envy you for doing it, as I don't know if I could do the same. (((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteWow! Good for you Kelly! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThat must have been incredibly hard to write down and then send. I probably couldn't have done it. Good for you! *hugs*
ReplyDeleteWow - this is amazing. I'm so proud of you for writing this!
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you could clear the air with the secretary. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely thing for you to do! I hope you do get to be friends with this woman. She sounds very nice and could be a supportive presence at work.
ReplyDeleteKelly, good for you. I've had strange reactions to people's questions, people who had no way of knowing, and felt badly for it. I think it took a lot of guts to write to her, to redress things. And I'm glad she responded as she did.
ReplyDeleteImpressive and brave! I don't know if I could have done that, good for you to clear the air and explain yourself and good for her for responding in a positive way.
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed by your ability to be honest and open to someone who you don't have to do that with. It sounds as though some weight has come off of your shoulders through that e-mail.
ReplyDeleteUm, hi. You are awesome. I'll be thinking of you as I cheer on PSU today.
ReplyDeletei just tagged you in my blog today (09-25) - come check it out and play along!!
ReplyDeleteI think this is wonderful... you're really courageous, Kelly.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for having the courage to share what was really going on. That's great that she responded so well to it, too. It gives me hope that bridges really can be rebuilt even after difficult situations :)
ReplyDelete