This was the oddest u/s I've ever had.
In previous pregnancies (and at two different u/s places), it was about 20 minutes or so, with about 100 pictures. You could also see measurements on the screen (either size or dates).
Today, the RE came in (not my usual one) and said that the's looking for a gestational sac and a yolk sac. I asked about a HB. He said no, don't expect to see that, that he would like to but it could very well be too early and not to panic if we don't.
The whole thing lasted for three or so minutes and he took five pictures. No measurements on the screen at all. He also didn't zoom in. The last time there was a HB detected, it was only done after the tech had zoomed in.
So, we saw the yolk sac and he said everything looked good.
That was it. He wants me to come back in a week for another. He said at 7 weeks, they should definitely be able to see a HB.
I guess I am with him telling me things are good. He was the RE who I saw for my 2nd HCG draw that said that my first level looked good but with my history, he's not going to paint a rosy picture for me because I know how quickly things can go wrong.
I then called my friend who had went to him exclusively. She said she remembers him being the same way and not saying much specifically.
What do you think? I'm a freaking mess even though I'm trying not to be. Dr. Google seems to think it's just fine at 6w1d to not see a HB yet.
Oh how frustrating! You would think that after multiple losses they would be extra understanding and careful to reasurre the parents. I admit that I was a little disappointed when my RE didn't see me until 8 weeks this time, but it was undeniable that we had a heartbeat at that point. I had three weeks of "wondering", but I didn't feel like I was on a roller coaster in between appointments. For now, I think you've got to take the doctor's "good" for what it is--GOOD! But wow...I sure hope that whoever you see next week is more attentive to your experience and legitimate concerns. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteYou know what I think: I don't think he examined your chart or remembered your history. It also sounds like he's one of those doctors that doesn't say much. That combination made for a weird appointment. I really wish that you had been able to see your regular RE. She knows you, knows your concerns, and would have been able to set your mind at ease. Hang in there, Kelly. I know this isn't easy but you are doing SO well. For now, try and take comfort in the fact that everything looks good. I hope you get a more detailed report next week.
ReplyDeleteI think if he's the type of doctor to not sugar coat things, then I would trust him that everything is fine.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you have to wait another week. I'm hoping that your next appointment is much more thorough!
With your history I would have a hard time with your appointment this morning too. Apparently he sucks at bedside manner. That really sucks. He didn't give you one dang thing to tide you over until next week other than, "It looks good." I wouldn't appreciate that either.
ReplyDeleteI will keep you in my prayers that everything is fine. Just remember to go with your instincts that everything is fine and this one is different.
Ugh! Well, it's not bad news so that's a good thing. I hate when doctors are so vague! Hang in there hon!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Chelle. It sounds like he has a terrible bedside manner and/or is lazy.
ReplyDeleteAt 6 weeks you can sometimes see a flutter of the heart (that really isn't well formed at all yet). But when I went in during the middle of my 6th week it took them awhile to find it, and even then it was SUPER light.
I certainly hope that you don't worry too much about it (but I know it's soooo hard!!) , but maybe you could mention his behavior to your regular doctor when you see him/her again?
You're in my thoughts and prayers this week. I hope that everything is going well!
I'm with the other ladies, you didn't get bad news per se... And it's clear that Doc had a crappy bedside manner. What was his problem anyway? Shouldn't he know by now to take extra time with the veteran IFer's?!?!
ReplyDeleteChin up hun, I'm hoping and praying the next week flies by and brings you nothing but great news!
Hugs.
I'm with the pps, it seems like this is not bad news, it just is sort of neutral news at this point. Yes, one would expect that he would check more closely knowing your history, but he also may have wanted to be neutral so that no matter what is happening right now, you would know that you were looking for more specific news next week. He doesn't want you to panic if you didn't see the HB, so he didn't look for it. I can't imagine that helps the panic, much, but I can see where he's going with it. Not the world's best bedside manner...
ReplyDeleteGiant ((hugs)) and positive thoughts and prayers for next week coming your way.
I agree that he just wasn't paying attention to your chart. I started every early u.s appt this time by announcing my scorecard (3 previous m/c) so they were awesome about looking right away for the hb and reassuring me that things looked good. 6 weeks is very, very early to see a hb. Although some people do, and it would have been nice to, I definitely don't think it spells doom that there wasn't one yet. You may have just gotten unlucky and caught the RE at a time when he was rushing to catch up on appointments or something. I'm sorry that you have to wait another week to see anything concrete!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with what everyone else has said. If you know that doctor doesn't have a way with words, and if he also didn't want to paint you a rosy picture in the first place, I think it's a good sign that he told you everything is fine. That said, what a jerk for not having better bedside manner.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that the doc was so hurried and not attentive to what you've been through. I wish that he would have treated you so much better than that. I'm sorry that you didn't get to hear the HB, but everything looks good now, so just hang in there. Hugs. You are doing great!
ReplyDeleteThat's tough. On the one hand, my RE has never done a long u/s with a bunch of pictures...never in all of the 6 or so that I've done with him. He gets in, checks for whatever he wants to see and gets out. I'm sure it's frustrating having had a different experience. I'm glad that you only have to wait one week. (I realize that I just said "only" like it's tomorrow...I know it's going to be a long wait but it's certainly better than an 8 week u/s!)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I wanted to reassure you that we did not see a hb at our 6wk u/s. I was a ball of nerves all weekend but when we went back, everything was perfect. It really IS so early to see/hear a hb. HOpefully next week you'll be able to both see AND hear it! I'll be thinking about you!
That had to be so frustrating! If it is any comfort, I remember that my OB said that it is normal to not see a HB until 6.5 weeks or so.
ReplyDeleteI dont understand why they even made you do this appt if they can't see the HB yet and you have to come back in a week? I mean it doesnt make any sense to me???
ReplyDeleteThanks, everyone!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I know what you're saying. I believe it is mainly to make sure that it's not an ectopic pregnancy and that it's not a blighted ovum.
Well, you definitely got good news that it is not ectopic!! My rule of thumb is if they say everything looks good then everything looks good!
ReplyDeleteI'm in the camp that thinks he didn't bother to look at your chart before entering the room. Otherwise, he'd have given you more information.
ReplyDeleteI didn't read all of the comments but if I were you Kelly, I'd call the female RE that you like so much (she's your RE, right?) and leave a message telling her that you had your Ultrasound today and you walked away with very little information. And you would:
A) Like to know what the sonogram pics tell her.
B) Come back in for another u/s where they zoom in and detect the heartbeat before the 7 week mark.
But that's just me.
There is no reason to sit around and stress for no reason when these people have the ability to tell you what the eff is going on.
Again, just my opinion.
((hugs))
I'm sorry it was a weird appointment. I wish you could have seen tons of pictures and zoomed in and saw the h/b and everything. But things are still good right now so hang on to the fact that everything is good. And 1 week till hopefully a much better and more exciting u/s!!! Hang in there hun, you're doing great. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteI hate it when medical professionals pay no heed to your medical records/history! It's just unprofessional and rude. Sorry you had to deal with him.
ReplyDeleteBut, I do think it's rare to see the HB that early. My Dr's always said it's the 7 week u/s where you need to see the HB so hang in there (I know it's hard).
Kelly...I'm so glad that you got good news, but I hate that he was so vague. I agree with the pp that it might not hurt to put in a call to your regular RE and see if she can look over your info from today's visit and give you any more reassurance! I'm keeping you in my prayers!! ((hugs))
ReplyDeletetry not to stress. i didn't see a heart beat till 7w 6 days with my last pregnancy. fingers and toes are crossed for you
ReplyDeletetake care
especially since he didn't zoom in... all that you might see is a small flicker, and only if the u/s machine had a good resolution. I know its hard, but try to be calm! (so much easier said then done... I know!)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you didn't get the reassurance you were looking for. It sounds like bad sonogirl from my office, who does the same thing. I won't even tell you to remain calm, because I wouldn't be either, but I'm pretty sure that you can only see a hb at 6w if you zoom in & see the flicker. I'm crossing everything I have for you that things are ok. I'd consider talking to your regular RE, since she knows you, & will understand your concern. take care of yourself! (((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteOh Kelly...god, what a hard appointment for you...I dont have anythig to add really except I am thinking of you and hoping this next appointment comes up with the news we are all hoping for...
ReplyDeleteI've never been pregnant, so I have never had that kind of ultrasound but at my RE the doctors are in and out very fast and tend to be very vague! It is the nurse who calls me later that gives me all the info! It is definitely frustrating!
ReplyDelete