When I woke up on Friday (7/1) morning and got out of bed, I felt an obvious "pop", followed by a gush (9am) Holy shit, I thought...there's just no way! It's 3 1/2 weeks early! When I called my OB, the nurse laughed when I told her what I thought could have been my water breaking. Hubs raced home from work and ran in the house to see if I was ok, where he found me sort of trying to pack a bag, freaking out and pacing around the house. To say that I couldn't think clearly is a vast understatement. Hubs went out to start throwing shit out of the back of his car into our front yard (which was pretty funny) and to get the carseat (which, I may add, was still in the box).
The three day holiday weekend was packed full of finishing-getting-ready-for-baby details. We were planning on getting last minute things, finishing the nursery, staining a piece that Mr SC built, packing hospital bags, etc. Alaina knew how much her mommy hates lateness though and loves being early, since she clearly had other plans.
On the way to the hospital, I didn't even think that this was "it". I wasn't having contractions. I even called my mom (who lives an hour and a half away) to tell her what was going on, yet we both decided that she should stay put until I knew what was going on.
And then the contractions started. Wow. They were about a minute long and three minutes apart. Commence complete freaking out on my part.
After I got to L&D, I found out that I was already 7cm dilated. Hubs called my mom and told her to get here, now. The rest remains a blur. I had to have an IV started immediately because of the +GBS and also was waiting for bloodwork results to be sure the Hep.arin was out of my system so I could get an epidural. The target time was 3:30. By the time I finally was able to have an epidural, I was already 9.5cm dilated and the pain was pretty damn bad. They wanted to wait though for my body to do things naturally (as much as they could) for fear of my cervix tearing, so I tried to relax. I pretty much got to lay in the bed for a couple of hours. I was uncontrollably shaking because I was so scared. I kept thinking of my losses. I thought of so many of you and what you had been through. I thought of a few of my friends who had tragedy strike in moments like this. Mr SC was wonderful and tried to keep me calm, but it was really something I knew I had to do on my own. I realized that what was meant to happen would happen and I knew that when the nurse came back in, that it would be go time. After she checked me (after about two total hours) and said that my cervix was ready, I held Mr SC's hand and said I was ready to meet our daughter.
Labor was so strange because I could barely feel my contractions (yay, epidural!) but I ended up only needing to push for about forty minutes. Mr SC and my mom were there and were both a tremendous help and Mr SC got to watch his daughter come into the world. Baby A was so quiet after she was born I just kept frantically asking if she was ok. After all, we're all used to those screaming newborns on TV right after they're born, right? Start to finish (from when my water broke), the whole thing was only a little over eight hours!
After what seemed like an eternity, we were able to go home on Sunday evening. As I was being wheeled down the long hospital corridor, it was just too much for me. Mr SC and I had walked down that hallway so many times before. For testing for our losses. For my two surgeries. With pregnancies hanging in limbo, only to find out they were no more. Now, here I was, leaving the hospital with my rainbow baby. It was just too much for me and I ended up bawling the entire way out of the hospital.
I still can't believe that she's here, happy and healthy. We hold her entirely too much but for right now, we don't know what else to do other than to love her like there's no tomorrow.
Ready to go home from the hospital!
I must be a glutton for punishment that I'm sharing this picture! This is the last pic I have of me being pregnant at 34 weeks. I was sooo tired and sooo swollen!!
Oh, Kelly, this makes me SO happy to see!!! The picture of you is wonderful! And, the pictures of Baby A couldn't be more gorgeous!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible, "easy-ish" birth story! :) I'm so glad things went smoothly and your little rainbow girl is here! Hold her and love her as much as you want!!! :)
I have tears reading your story and seeing the pictures. She's beautiful! For a first time mommy, you had a very quick labor. Wow! I'm glad that everything went smoothly and that you were able to bring home this little miracle. It made me laugh that the carseat was still in the box. You must be right, she knows how you like to be early and she's already trying to impress you. :-) You have earned the right to hold her until middle school if you want. :-) Can't wait for more updates and more pictures!
ReplyDeleteShe's so sweet! And holla for a mostly-easy delivery! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story and baby! I have tears in my eyes, I felt those same fears right at the end and found that I just had to trust that it was going to be ok. And it was! For both of us! Wonderful, thank you so much for sharing and congradulations!
ReplyDeleteCongrats, she is so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! She is adorable!
ReplyDeleteI'm in tears - what a wonderful story! I'm so happy for you!!! And she's just gorgeous! And so are you - thanks for sharing all the pics!!!
ReplyDeleteShe is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! (And I love the 34 weeks pic of you!)
ReplyDeleteYour labor sounds a lot like mine....water broke/extreme contrax/arrived at the hospital ready-to-go.....AHHHHH!!!! (Seriously, the epidural = amaaaaazing.) I am so so so happy and impossibly grateful that we are on the other side with perfect healthy babies. Thinking of you!! xoxo
She's precious! Congratulations! And I'm kinda hoping my labor goes something like yours :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats!! So happy for you. She looks so cute. I hope my labor is as smooth as yours!
ReplyDeletebeautiful...every bit... congratulations momma.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Kelly!! So fun to see pictures of her - she is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteCrying the happiest of tears for you!!!!! Congratulations, Momma - she is perfect and beautiful!!!!! And that's a great pic of you, good thing you took one and didn't put it off, huh? LOL!!
ReplyDelete*so many tears* I am so very happy for you Kelly! She's absolutely lovely! So glad that it went so well and quickly.
ReplyDelete(and as far as I'm concerned, you can never hold a baby TOO much) :)
Congratulations!!! I am so happy when I hear the good news from a fellow IF. I am 13 weeks into my 4th pregnancy (after 3MC) and half the time I can't tell if it's morning sickness (all day) or nerves. Snuggle in and enjoy!
ReplyDeleteShe (and YOU!) are beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteBut now I'm completely freaked out about early labor. How am I going to get everything done? Ay yi yi.
Happy Birthday sweet Alaina! Kelly, she's beautiful :) And I'm so happy you posted your picture pregnant! You looked beautiful...its been a long journey to get here, so look at that bump and don't think swelling, just think "miracle" ;)
ReplyDeletexxx
Congratulations!!! She is beautiful! I am SO happy for you and so glad to hear that everything went well!
ReplyDeleteTears in my eyes for you and your happy ending. Your daughter is beautiful...
ReplyDeleteCongrats mama!!!
She is gorgeous! such a wonderful, wonderful birth story!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to both of you! and enjoy every moment. I am soooooo very happy for you guys:)
... btw your second paragraph describing hubby getting ready for one of the most important rides of his life ... just cracked me up! Ha!
You look beautiful, and your little girl is beautiful!!! I'm just so happy for you all. And the image of the frantic race to go to the hospital... priceless!
ReplyDeleteOh, she is just BEAUTIFUL! Congrats again.
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful. Congratulations, Kelly. I am so happy that you finally can hold your child in your arms.
ReplyDeleteShe's gorgeous and you were glowing in that pic. So happy for you.
ReplyDeleteYour description of leaving the hospital left me in tears. I can totally see how overwhelming those emotions must have been, so intertwined with so much past heartache. My warmest congratulations to you - she is absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeleteKelly, oh my she's beautiful!! Congrats that Miss A is here!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, she's breathtaking! I think I see a little of you in her in that first picture...maybe :).
ReplyDeleteOh Kelly..She is so beautiful!! And your birth story reminds me of mine..early babies, short & sweet labors. Our little "Laina's" were ready to make their appearance..Enjoy this time..as the cliche says, it really does go by so fast. And I agree w/Mrs.G, you can't hold her too much. We still hold Elaina as much as humanly possibly. Love to all 3 of you!!
ReplyDeleteThis post was definitely a tearjerker! I felt the same way at the end & still couldn't believe it when we left the hospital as a family :) She's absolutely beautiful!!!! Enjoy every minute, you worked way too hard for it!
ReplyDeleteI'm teary-eyed too. She's so beautiful and I'm so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you, what an amazing story!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh how wonderful she's really here and well! I'm so glad Alaina knew when to come. ENJOY HER!
ReplyDeleterevel in every moment, like i know you will. she's gorgeous. you have been blessed.
ReplyDeletexx
Congrats! Glad you had such a quick labor - good job!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute baby! Great job momma!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story!! So happy for your new famy
ReplyDeleteAhhh Kelly she is so beautiful!!! Let me tell you hold and snuggle here all you can because they grow up so fast...Yesterday I actually sobbed a little because Brycen is almost 5mo old already and is doing big boy things and becoming less and less baby like:( I am so happy for you and your hubs words just cant express this kind of new love and let me tell you to you and to me our blessing we will forever be greatful and amazed by and def is worth all the pain that we endured. And even though our past will never be forgotten it is such a huge weight off to be able to really live again!!At least thats how I felt when Brycen was born.
ReplyDeleteOk Enjoy that sweet Baby girl:)
Yay!! So thrilled for you and love the photos! btw - my daughter was wearing the same fish onesie today :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats! You give those of us still waiting a bit more hope
ReplyDeleteCongrats Kelly!!!!!! She's beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou're both beautiful! And I love her nursery. I'm so glad things went smoothly for the most part -- though of course I wish you could have had that epidural sooner.
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you. She's beautiful!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! She's so beautiful! You're so brave, going so long without an epidural. I walked into the hospital asking for one! I'm so glad you all are home healthy and happy!
ReplyDeleteLover her like there's no tomorrow, mama.
ReplyDelete(Sniffle:)
Oh LOVE. Such a precious little creature!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story. I love the picture of you in the nursery! That quilt is super cute! Thanks for your comment on my blog and your kind words.
ReplyDeleteSo much to say about these pictures.. I am so happy for you. So so happy.
ReplyDelete