Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bumps? and a Reveal

pg post...

I wanted to update a bit about what's going on with me.  Hopefully someone out there can shed some insight, too.

  • I'm 27 1/2 weeks.  
  • I had my first "scare" and visit to L&D.  Ok, scare is being used loosely here.  You're supposed to call about a decrease in fetal movement.  So, I did.  Go to L&D now, the nurse says.  Thankfully, baby is just fine. 
  • We/I continue to measure "big".  This is odd to me, especially since I'm right on target (or a little on the low side) for weight gain.   Because of this, I have to have an u/s on Thursday morning to make sure all is ok.
  • I miserably and horribly failed my 1hr glucose test.  I can't help but hope it's because I had lunch shortly before.  Anyway, three hour version is this Thursday.
  • My thyroid is being a little wonky.  A month ago, it was fine.  I continued the same med dose.  Yesterday, my TSH is now on the hyperthyroidism side (although mild) yet me T4 is fine.  Doc wants my dose to stay the same because he says T4 is the most important for baby.  Anyone have this?
  • I've been officially moved to the intermediate risk "clinic" and I have to say, seeing the same two docs every two weeks is way better than a crapshoot of who I'll see every four.
I am just hoping that these are regular ol' things that aren't that big of a deal.  I liked it so much better when there wasn't anything like this going on.

Whatever it takes for Alaina Grace to be ok.  For those who asked, that's what we've decided to name her.  We couldn't decide between one name and Alaina, so I decided for us and ordered the letters for above her crib.  After all, the one giving birth gets the final say, right?  :)

21 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you decided and ordered the letters! You are hilarious! I'm so sorry for your scare and know that any new stressors only make this harder! Sending up lots of prayers for Miss Alaina and mommy! So happy to know her name, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you decided and ordered the letters. I could never be that brave. I am so sorry for the scare. I am wishing you and Miss. Alaina the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it your baby or your uterus that is measuring big?

    I was told at my 1 hour test that I was to eat what I would normally eat. It's the 3 hour that you have to fast. Fun Fun. I failed that one too last time.

    Hang in there!! I'm sure everything is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Sounds like a lot of little things, but all nervewracking when added together. Thyroid fluctuations are common in pregnancy (I went hypo). Actually, I stopped taking my meds and hmmm, maybe I should have that checked, LOL. It will be FINE. Sounds like they are taking good care of you :-) Sorry about the glucose test :-( And I LOVE the name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that everything checked out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the name...Grace was our daughters middle name as well! Hoping you receive reassuring news at the appointment Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad all is okay! I love the name... and I TOTALLY agree... you push you name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the next appt goes well, and I'm glad your first 'scare' ended with all being okay. Alaina Grace is beautiful, and GO YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the name!! And, I hope that the 3 h test goes well! Glad all is ok after the scare!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know how big of a fan of Alaina that I am =) And I measured big from 22 weeks until I delivered. About 2-4 weeks ahead at each visit. I had multiple u/s (which was fine w/me) and the babe was measuring about a week ahead each time, but other then that, all was well. I'm sorry you had a scary L&D visit, I had the same one at 28wks, so I know how scary that is. Love that you ordered the letters and the you are almost there. Seriously. 27.5 weeks, fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. According to the NIH website:

    http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/pregnancy/

    "Mild hyperthyroidism in which TSH is low but free T4 is normal does not require treatment."

    I take synthetic thyroid hormone (following treatment for Graves disease) and when I was pg I was told that my dosage might need to be increased during pregnancy because of the increased need for thyroid hormone (my thyroid no longer makes it on its own), and indeed during the second semester I had an increased dosage which was decreased some time after giving birth when everything went back to normal.

    Thyroids are strange things, but as long as the issue is a mild one and you're not experiencing any related symptoms, I'm sure it's OK as is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for picking a name!!! It makes everything seem even that much more "real," doesn't it?? :-)

    Try not to worry about measuring off track too much! I almost NEVER measure on track, and everything was fine!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous name! None of those issues seems very serious at all. Doctors are just very cautious, which is good, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgous name, fingers are crossed for smooth sailing from here.
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  15. You chose a wonderful name.

    My total weight gain was right on dot with the average weight gain (not that I had much scope), and the baby measured ahead from from her first ultrasound on. In fact, her birthweight at 35 weeks 5 days was the same as my niece's who was born full-term.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loooove the name!!

    My weight gain is on the high end, the baby is measuring 3 weeks ahead via u/s, the belly is right on target. who knows!?

    I have the exact same thing going on with my thyroid - my T4 is good, but TSH is a bit low, so my doc did the same and kept me on the same dose.

    yay for nearly third trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear that everything was okay when you went to L&D, and I love the name you picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hang in there. I was in L&D at 27.5 weeks and ended up getting admitted. We are 29 weeks tomorrow and grateful that she's stayed put. I had to comment though, we almost named ours Alaina Grace! She's going to be Olivia Grace but we LOVE Alaina too and will probably use that if we ever have another girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alaina Grace - beautiful! Love this... That sucks you had a scare that caused you to go to the hospital, but so glad everything is ok. Good luck at the glucose test - I've heard that's a bear!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your daughter's name. It's beautiful! Alaina Grace. Perfect.

    I hope your doctor's appointment went well. I always thought the same thing- that I was going to hurt someone's feelings with my belly... I knew that somewhere, sometime I would unknowingly pass by someone who had lost a baby and that it would hurt to see me. It's really hard.

    many prayers to you and your baby Alaina Grace!
    love,
    ebe

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad to stop in today (I'm behind) and see that you and baby are doing well. The name you've chosen is precious! (I actually have a little Alayna (with a y) Grace in my extended family!)

    It always makes me especially happy to see someone who has been through multiple losses finally get to have a successful pregnancy. Prayers for you and your little one as you get closer to meeting her face to face!

    ReplyDelete