Friday, June 24, 2011

SCREECH!

The title was referring to screech to a grinding halt, not Screec.h from Saved by the Be.ll.

So, Factor V, MTHFR, hypothyroidism, GD...ok, fine.  Rolling with the punches in this pregnancy.  Accepting that I'll never know what led to my four losses, dealing with the cards I've been dealt as best I can, while realizing that in terms of "complications", these could be much, much, much worse.  (And, if I do say so myself, been doing a pretty good job dealing with things).

OB appointment yesterday.  Chatted it up about possible induction, etc.  Praised for GD numbers, all was well.

Then I remembered the test I had done the week before and I saw the results on my chart.  GBS+

I tested positive from Group B Strep.  Commence panic with doctor.  She reassures me...antibiotics during delivery, not a big deal and just because I tested positive doesn't mean I have it and doesn't mean the baby will have it, especially with treatment.

After a couple of hours, I calmed down.  I'm allergic to penicillin but talked to a nurse about the alternatives (many of which I"m allergic to when penicillin is prescribed for an illness) and I felt better.

Yep.  Until this morning.  Of course, enter Dr. Goog.le.  Damn you, Dr. Googl.e.   Group B Strep can infect the baby even if you have antibiotics and can cause meningitis, pneumonia and lead to death.  And, GBS, in rare cases, can cause an infection of the placenta which will cause the baby to be stillborn.  I get that all of this is rare and worst-case scenario stuff.  For once though, I would like to fall on the "normal" side of statistics.  I don't want to be in the 25% of women who test positive, I want to be in the 75% of women who don't.

Today, I'm 9 months pregnant.  Something tells me that this is going to be the longest month of my life.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, nine months! Incredible. I know how you feel about the wrong side of statistics. I am sending lots of good energy towards you and your little one, may her arrival be safe and non-eventful. You are almost there, then you'll have a whole new type of worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEP AWAY FROM DR. GOOGLE!!! That stress does NOTHING helpful for you or your baby.

    Praying for a normal, HEALTHY delivery for you and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, step away from Dr. Google! Fingers crossed and many prayers sent to you for a healthy month 9.

    I am 100% sure that in those cases where there were complications from GBS+ are moms who didn't know in advance and didn't take the antibiotics. You will be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good GRIEF this is a hard-fought baby, every damn step of the way!

    I agree - step away from Dr. Google, girlie. Go with what your doctor said and how you felt after that visit.

    Raising a glass and toasting to your little lion - may this be the hardest part of your journey with her. Because it surely hasn't been easy, and you're overdue for some smooth sailin'. (((Hugs!)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay away from Dr. Google! I know that it's hard though because it is scary, and once you've fallen on the low odds before it's hard to believe you won't again... but I'm hoping for you.

    I'm deadly allergic to PCN too, I always have to take non-related alternatives and have not had issues ever from the meds not being as effective. The alternatives should be fine. Deep breaths!

    Yay for nine months! I'm sure it's going to be a long month, but you can do this. Lots of positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Kelly, dang. You've come so far, and are so close. Don't let this rob you of your joy this last month. Trust the doctors. Take it day by day. And know I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No no NO. Step AWAY from Dr. Google, Kelly. Come on! You know better than that. Do not listen to that bastard.

    Fingers firmly crossed for this last month. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the GSB result, but look at it like this: 25% of all pregnancies come up positive. That is a HUGE number of mothers! so I would say the doctors must know pretty well how to manage it, and I think your doctor's answer was very re-assuring. I am pretty sure they will keep en eye on this for you. You are in good hands, trust your doctor!

    Your Baby Girl will be here happy and healthy and soooo very soon! I am sooo very excited for you!:) Buckle up, Mommy!;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, seriously? Another thing? I'm so sorry that you now have to deal with this. But please, try to focus on the good stuff. She's coming soon, and will be just fine! You have great doctors, you don't need to try to play one yourself searching Google!!!

    I really hope this last month flies by quickly for you!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a bit confused, are you positive for IgG antibodies to gbs or did they make bacteria grow from a swab?

    If you are just antibody positive that does not mean you have active infection, just means you have been exposed to it at some point in the past. That is not so worrying, really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only have one instance that I can pull from to help you feel a little better. My sister tested positive for strep-b. Granted she isn't allergic to the antibiotics but still. My nephew was born just fine...even after sucking down a little meconium (sp?). Try not to worry about it. I know that's easier said than done, but worrying is just going to bring you down and drive you crazy. Please stay away from Dr. Google....he's evil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn that Dr Google. STEP AWAY! He's not even that smart. If he were a real doctor, he'd have lost his license for malpractice years ago! You and baby will be fine. Perfectly fine. *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also positive for GBS! And I will say that I didn't freak out, because I've known a few people with it, one who they didn't find it before and then her baby started getting sick and "oops we forgot to test for that!" and she was totally fine! I am super glad now that I did not google it b/c I think google is a tool of evil when you've already got cards stacked against you!! So, breathe deep and know that it's going to be ok! Have a friend with it delivering Monday too, I'll give you her report as well! My biggest concern lately is making sure baby girl is still moving regularly, and not to worry about that, she's keeping the belly jiggling!!

    Sooooo close, everything is going to be great! It is YOUR TIME!!! Lots of hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. (((HUGS))) This sure has been a bumpy ride for you, but it's soon coming to an end, & as soon as you see your little girl, you'll forget all about everything bad.

    One day at a time is all you can do right now. Take comfort in the fact that they know way ahead of time & are planning for treatment already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats on 9 months. what a story you will have for your wee one. I know it seems easy for me to say, but don't stress about the GBS. I tested positive in my 2nd trimester, and just two weeks ago tested negative. Apparently, just b/c you test positive at one point doesn't necessarily mean you will have it when baby arrives...and if you do...they treat with antibiotics. My OB informed me that it is the most commonly treated (at birth) "infection"... I know it's still weird and scary, but really after all that momma's like us have been through....we can handle it...and so can our little warriors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This has been the longest month of my life, that's for sure! I had my GBS test this week (don't know the results yet). I didn't even think to google it. I just assumed antibiotics would take care of it. Yikes! Off to consult dr. Google...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, please step away from Dr. Google. He is such an unreliable doctor! I've really had to step away from him lately.

    I am so truly excited for you. Watching you for the last nine months has been incredible...I am seeing a miracle right before my eyes, and that gives everyone hope.

    By the way...I was reading your blog a few weeks ago, and I got the title of your blog stuck in my head, so now every night I sing the song to B as I rock her to sleep.

    You'll do that with your little one very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stay away frim Google!!!!! The thing about these sorts of things us to KNOW what is going on. They know and they will take care of you both.

    Yay for 9 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kelly, testing GBS+ is so, so common in pregnancy. I was GBS+ and had a few days of being upset about it, more because I didn't want to have to get the antibiotics. But I got over it, took really good probiotics to counter the side-effects of antibiotics (which I suggest you do, too--they can help prevent thrush), and it was so NOT a big deal when the time came!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 9 months is amazing! I don't know anything about GBS, but as a friend who also falls on the same side as the stats as you - I totally get your reaction to the news. So sorry and hoping everything will be ok (I'm sure it will). Also hoping this is not the longest month of your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Kelly! I was also GBS+, and it got me all spun up, so I can relate. I was nervous that my labor would be quick (ha!) and that I wouldn't make the 4 hours that they like to have the antibiotic in your system. The doctor assured me that the 4-hour timeline is a precaution, and that really as long as you and the baby get the antibiotic for an hour, you're good. Anyway, hang in there, and know that you're not alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praying for a sense of peace, and that all is well. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hang in there!! You are going to get there and you are doing everything you can. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. KELLY,

    I too, tested positive for GBS and although I wanted to lose my mind I trusted my Dr. who told me that half of her patients test +. A person can test + in one pregnancy and not in another. She assured me that antibiotics are all that are needed. I ended up with a c-section due a breech baby, but don't let GBS wig you out. This is the least of your worries after all you've been through :) It's going to be okay sweet friend.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ugh, Kelly. I'm sorry. This is the last thing you needed:( I'm going to take heart in the comment before this one. I know how hard it is not to consider the worst case scenario (especially when you've been there so many times). But I cannot - will not - believe that it will be anything but okay.

    ReplyDelete