Monday, August 5, 2013

Pop Pop Has Cancer

I'm an only child and the only thing close to a father that I've ever had is my stepfather, who my ,I'm married 20 years ago. They were high school sweethearts who found each other again. How cute is that?

On the night of June 3rd, after weeks of sudden, immobilizing back pain, Mr SC talked him into going to the ER. I was in the shower when I heard Mr SC running back the hallway, telling me to get out of the shower. My mom was on the phone. Between hysterical sobs, Mr SC was able to make out "large mass" and "spine".  

I went into school, finished up my finals and everything else for the last four days of school, and drove the 1 1/2 hours to my parents' house as we played the waiting game for the countless tests. Wednesday afternoon I was there to hear the words that no one wants to hear...malignant. Turns out he has stage IV kidney cancer, which spread to his vertebrae. Within days his kidney was removed and  in the weeks that followed, we've been spending as much time with him as we can.

It breaks my heart to see Pop Pop with A. He adores her and because of his weakened vertebrae and pain, he can't pick her up or really even play with her.  It breaks my heart that he may not be with us long enough for A to even remember him when he leaves us. 

I'm hoping and praying. 

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to read this. My heart breaks for you. Really remind you how quickly things can change and how precious life is! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sorry to read this news. A cancer diagnosis like that is so devastating and unbelievably unfair. Wishing you & your family moments of strength in the midst of the unknown and memories to cherish together ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry to hear this (*hugs*) This has to be incredibly hard for your family, and you especially. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no. I am so sorry. I am sending thoughts of love and peace to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed he's ok. It's such a horrible thing, cancer. Stay strong x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are the doctors giving a poor prognosis?

    I am so sorry. As much as I am sorry that A may lose her grandpa far too early, I can obviously see how much your love him.

    Cancer is horrible.

    Sending him vibes of recovery. Take care of yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, hon. I'm so sorry. Sending you so many positive thoughts and so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for this news. There's not much to say other than I'm thinking of you. Sending comforting thoughts and (((hugs))) your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. infertility for easy Conception. (No more adoption, with Dr Itua your problem will solve and you will have your child with ease.I have been blog Sites for a while now and today i felt like i should share my story because i was a victim too. I had endometriosis for 18 years and i never thought i would ever get a cure due to the terrible symptoms i had and this made it impossible for me to get pregnant even after 12 years of marriage and it was a serious issue. I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cure and let her contact details, i contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and i decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 this december and i am gratetful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach his on (drituaherbalcenter@gmail. com Or Whatsapp Number..+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues.He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen that every person wants to express their feelings but they are not able to express their feelings properly in words but the content you have written in your post is very beautiful, it seems that you have expressed your feelings Has expressed. Hi, you are a person who writes a very beautiful post, in the same way, you keep writing new posts in your life, our best wishes are with you. Real Photos Girl Gurugram
    Gurugram Girl Number
    Cheap price girls gurgaon
    Naughty Girl Gurugram
    VIP Girl Gurugram

    ReplyDelete