Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Big Reveal?

This is about pg...

I've been going back and forth with Mr SC about the big reveal since Monday. He wants to tell everyone. I said let's wait until at least the end of this week. Today we talked about waiting until our next OB appointment at 14w5d. I'm not going to "announce" it to my classes, but after Mr SC tells his brother, evil SIL (who I teach with) will know and she'll tell everyone (including students, she's like that).

Anyway...

I'm out in the hall in between classes with a colleague. I'm in the hall every period between classes with this person. I wouldn't necessarily call him a friend but we talk quite a bit. He knows my RPL history.

Today after I made a comment, he gave me this look and said hey, what's up with you?

What do you mean, I asked, as panic sets in.

He then says what's going on?

I said, with what? (As red is creeping up my cheeks and my face gets hot).

And then he asked, "are you pregnant?"

I tried to laugh it off, but my face, ears and neck were so red that it gave it away and he just started laughing at me. When I asked him what gave it away, he said there have been "a bunch of things" over the last couple of weeks. Yikes!

So, am I nuts? I guess Mr SC will be telling everyone in our families this weekend.

26 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how some people can just "tell"? I know you are scared to tell people and I don't blame you. Maybe it will ease some stress to let others know your wonderful little secret? Just a thought. I'm sure everyone will be very happy for you. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....I'm sure your overall attitude has been better since you found out you were pregnant. I know mine changed! Are you starting to show at all? Maybe that tipped him off too?

    Good luck with the big reveal. Enjoy the attention! :) After all the BS you have been through you deserve it! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny how some people just "know." A man who just "knows" is really unusual, I think. My DH wouldn't "know" until after the baby was born, I think.

    I know this is a tough point to reach and I hope that it goes easily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. see, i do think it's rude for people who aren't close friends to ask or to mention it before you are clearly not hiding any bump. but maybe men aren't so aware of the etiquette? hard to say i guess.

    i told some people in work at 8 weeks, because i needed the support (i'd just gone back after being off sick for 7 weeks or so) and THREE of them had not only guessed, but had discussed it with other people a full week before (so weren't just saying it to show off!). i was decidedly not showing at that stage. i still can't understand how they knew! but i'm so glad they didn't ask me before i told them.

    it's hard when one person wants to tell and one doesn't. good luck trying to negotiate. if you strongly want to wait though, i'd push for waiting. what's the rush? they'll find out soon enough.

    have i said recently that i'm incredibly glad it's all going so well for you? i am :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. my folks knew we were going through treatments, so they constantly ask. and I can't lie to save my life! So everyone has known since the beginning. I'm sure this now feels like the longest pregnancy in history!
    I hope you get to tell everyone on your terms! It's YOUR amazing news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am one of those people who can always "tell" but I think once you've been through it a few times you can tell. But you know what? There's no reason to blush and be embarrassed, but I know it will feel so weird to tell people. I am so excited that things continue to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I was 15-16 weeks when I told...it was getting pretty obvious with my belly swelling out. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely think you're in the clear to start telling people, though it does get tricky when your work and personal worlds overlap--and you have people in those circles you can't trust to keep it a secret. However, I was actually surprised at how slowly the news traveled at work. I guess people had more discretion than I expected! I hope you get to announce it personally to the people who really matter--and then let the rest go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is interesting how someone could just sense that you are pregnant! I wonder what he picked up on that gave it away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was only 6-8 weeks (depending on whose opinion) and people could tell. It was so weird. Plus the fact that suddenly I could not stomach lunch with everyone around me was a big giveaway. You'll be surprised by how many people have probably already figured it out. I work in a school too and I know we have had teachers "hide it" but we all knew. Plus it is good to have support. So glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, that's neat that someone knew! You must be glowing :) I'm so excited for you to tell everyone! Yay

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went through something similar. I found out thru a coworker that some gossipy other coworkers were speculating about whether I was pregnant or getting fat. It totally hurt my feelings! I told my bosses our news the day after the NT scan at 13 weeks....I think I would've waited longer, but since I knew coworkers were talking about it, I was DESPERATE to get it officially out there as soon as the NT Scan was complete. It feels good to tell. Really and truly....and this comes from a total anxiety-ridden IFer, as you know. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never made a formal public announcement. I shared it with my (very supportive) supervisor from the beginning, but I let my colleagues figure it out on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know this doesn't answer the question in this post, but....

    I. AM. SOOOO. HAPPY. FOR. YOU. !!!!!

    Seriously! I just can't stop thinking about how wonderful and fantastic and amazing this all is! And, SQUUUEEEEEEEEEE!!!! A girl!!!! Yay!

    Sorry, I just had to get that all out.

    xoxo
    GINORMOUS HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a tough decision. But I have a feeling, that by your friend figuring it out and your hubby being so excited spilling the beans, things will take a natural route;)
    You need to take some extra time if, you feel not ready, and I am sure hubby would understand it.
    But I am also very excited for those happy moments, when your good friends and loved ones may celebrate with you! (((HUGS))) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Telling other people makes it more 'real', yes? Too funny that a MAN was the first to guess! :) Good luck on deciding when to really start telling. So excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you have to do it when you are ready. I told very few people and some people I just waited until they noticed. I actually thought it was kind of funny when people started to figure it out on their own.

    Do whatever you think is best for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The big reveal - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can understand your caution - especially with a gossipy SIL! But I agree that you are in the clear to tell people. I'm so glad, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't figure out how to post a comment on your newer post, but I just saw it, and I'm praying so hard for you. I really hope this spotting doesn't mean anything!!! Please keep us posted - sending you all the positive thoughts I can...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kelly, I'm praying this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kelly, I haven't stopped praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some reason the newest post won't allow comments. I'm praying and thinking of you and your baby. I hope it's nothing to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm pretty sure that Kelly has disabled comments deliberately on her most recent post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hang in there. You are in all my prayers right now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. When it came to our big reveal, I wanted to wait and my DH wanted to tell everyone. So, we told our family and a few good friends. Or so I thought. It came out later that he had told all of his co-workers the day after we told our families. lol. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete